Kowsar Open Access Policy
All articles published by Kowsar are made available under an open access license worldwide immediately. This means:
- free and unlimited access to the full-text of all articles
- free to re-use the published material given proper accreditation/citation of the original publication
- open access publication is supported by authors' institutes or research funding agency by payment of a comparatively low Article Processing Charge (APC) for accepted articles.
Meaning of Open Access
Kowsar defined open access as below:
- peer-reviewed literature is freely available without subscription or price barriers
- literature is immediately released in open access format (no embargo period)
- published material can be re-used without obtaining permission as long as a correct citation to the original publication is given.
Since 2012 all articles published by Kowsar contained the note "© Year Scientific Owner; Published by Kowsar Corp. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited."
This means that all articles published in Kowsar journals, including data, graphics and supplements, can be linked from outside in, crawled by search engines, re-used by text mining applications or websites, blogs, etc. free of charge under the sole condition of proper accreditation of the source and original Publisher. Kowsar believes that open access publishing can foster the exchange of research results amongst scientists from different disciplines, thus facilitating interdisciplinary research, whilst providing access to research results to researchers world-wide, including from developing countries, as well as to an interested general public.
Advantages of Open Access for Authors
High Availability and High Visibility of open access articles is guaranteed through the free and unlimited accessibility of the publication over the Internet without any restrictions. Everyone can freely access and download the full-text of all articles published with Kowsar. Readers, mostly other researchers, of open access journals do not need to pay any subscription or pay-per-view charges to read articles published by Kowsar. Open access publications are also more easily included and searchable in search engines and indexing databases.
Higher Citation Impact of open access articles due to their high publicity and availability. It has been demonstrated that open access publications are more frequently cited.
Less Costly — Open Access Publishers cover their costs for editorial handling and editing of a paper by charging authors' institutes or research funding agency. The cost of handling and the production of an article is covered through the one-time payment of an Article Processing Charge (APC) for each accepted article. The APC of Open Access Publishers are only a fraction of the average income per paper that traditional, subscription-based Publishers have been earning. Kowsar's Article Processing Charge (APC) is regardless of the length of an article, because we wish to encourage publication of long papers with complete results and full experimental or computational details.
Faster Publication in Kowsar's open access journals is achieved by the online-only availability. Accepted articles are typically published online more rapidly in Kowsar journals than traditional, subscription-based and printed journals.
Links and Notes
- Main text is written based on MDPI
- Open access citation impact advantage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access#Authors_and_researcher. For example, a standard research paper "Shutalev, A.D.; Kishko, E.A.; Sivova, N.V.; Kuznetsov, A.Y. Molecules 1998, 3, 100-106" has been cited 51 times, the highest number among all the papers published so far by the same author.
- Lin, S.-K. Editorial: Non-Open Access and Its Adverse Impact on Molecules. Molecules 2007, 12, 1436-1437 (PDF format 16 K, HTML format).
- Recently a research paper of 30 pages has been published: Molecules 2008, 13(5), 1081-1110.
- Some well written papers have been peer reviewed and published in less than two weeks from manuscript submission, see for example: Molecules 2006, 11(4), 212-218.
Other Open Access Resources
If you are new to the concept of open access, you may visit one of the following websites: